Pet Ownership Statistics and Facts in 2023 (Bite-size Facts & Statistics)
In recent years, the world has witnessed a remarkable surge in pet ownership. From cuddly canines to fabulous felines, pets have become an integral part of our daily lives.
Understanding pet statistics is more than a mere curiosity. It provides insights into societal trends, consumer behavior, and even the economy.
Whether you’re a pet lover, a pet industry professional, or someone interested in social dynamics, these statistics offer a fascinating glimpse into the world of our furry friends.
General Pet Ownership
- According to the 2023-2024 APPA National Pet Owners Survey, 66% of U.S. households own a pet, which equates to 86.9 million households.
- Estimated Number of US Households that Own a Pet:
- Millennials Make up 33% of current pet owners.
- As of 2020, the United Kingdom was the second highest-ranking European country in terms of its dog population, preceded only by Germany.
- 53% of UK adults own a pet.
- Fish are the third most popular pet in Australia.
- Malta has the least amount of vets in the EU with an estimate of 4688 pets per vet.
- Those who grew up with pets during childhood are more likely to own pets as adults.
- Dogs and cats remain the most popular pets globally, with fish, birds, and small mammals following closely.
- There are over 89.7 million pet dogs in the U.S. alone.
- 94 million pet cats reside in U.S. households.
- For the first time in history, in 2022, the French Bulldog takes the No. 1 spot of the most popular dog breed. This ends the Labrador Retriever’s 31-year reign as the most popular dog breed in America.
Best Cities for Dogs in 2023
- San Francisco
- Henderson, Nevada
- Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Portland, Oregon
- Aurora, Colorado
- Sacramento, California
- Madison, Wisconsin
- New York City
- The global pet insurance market was worth more than $2.83 billion at the end of 2021 and projected to reach $32.7 billion by 2030.
- In 2022, U.S. pet owners spent $136.8 billion on their pets.
- In 2023, a total of $143.6 billion in sales is projected in the U.S.
|Pet Foods and Treats||$62.7 billion|
|Supplies, Live Animals & OTC Medicine||$32.1 billion|
|Vet Care & Product Sales||$37 billion|
(grooming, training, boarding, insurance, etc)
Pet Food and Supplies
- Organic pet food sales have seen a rise, with a market value expected to hit $41.6 billion by 2032.
- The global pet accessories market is expected to reach $41.3 billion by 2027.
- Approximately 22% of pet owners are likely to spend more on pet healthcare products and services.
- Engraved collars and customized beds are expected to form a $2.5 billion market by 2025.
- In-person shopping has seen a resurgence and is now preferred by nearly 50% of pet owners, led by Gen-Xers and Boomers.
- 66% of pet owners in the USA factor their pets into financial planning, and 50% are open to investing extra in the U.S.-made, branded, ethically sourced, BPA-free, and eco-friendly pet products.
Health and Wellbeing
Benefits of Owning a Pet
- Pet owners were found to be 41% less depressed than non-pet owners.
- 74% of pet owners reported mental health improvements from pet ownership.
- Dog owners spend nearly 300 minutes every week walking with their dogs. That’s 200 more minutes of walking than people without a dog of their own.
Pets and Allergies
- Children exposed to pets early in life are 15% less likely to develop certain allergies.
- 26% of pet owners have reported fewer doctor visits than non-pet owners.
Trends in Pet Ownership
- Each year, roughly 4 million dogs and cats find new homes through shelter adoptions.
- The pet adoption rate experienced a remarkable surge during the COVID-19 pandemic, witnessing a 33%increase in adoptions from shelters and rescues.
- The adoption of senior pets is set to rise by 18% over the upcoming three years, showcasing a growing appreciation for the companionship and care of older animals.
Technology and Pets
- About 58% of farmers employ digital technologies to manage their livestock, playing a role in the expansion of intelligent farming solutions designed for agricultural animals.
- The market for pet technology accessories, such as smart collars and monitoring devices, is set to achieve a value of $3.5 billion by 2027.
- Use of pet tech, such as electronic tracking devices and pet monitoring systems, is increasing, with more pet owners planning to purchase these items in the next 12 months.
Pet Care and Management
- Public administration and Safety is the main industry that uses dog training.
- North America generated the highest revenue in the dog training services market in 2021, while Asia-Pacific is expected to attain the fastest CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) from 2022 to 2030.
- Dog trainers are most commonly employed in the non-profit (21%), professional (12%), retail (11%) and government (10%) industries.
- Annually, individuals who own dogs budget over $1,000 for veterinary visits, medications, and pet supplies.
- Regular vet visits have been found to extend a pet’s life by up to 3 years.
- Horse owners spend an average of $2,500 annually on veterinary services.
- U.S. dog owners typically allocate between $60 to $90 for each grooming session.
Traveling with Pets
- The pet travel market is expected to reach $4.9 billion by 2027, reflecting growing demand for travel options catering to pets.
- Between 2017 and 2022, the Pet Grooming & Boarding industry in the US has experienced an average annual growth rate of 4.4%.
- The world record for the largest gathering of dogs is 22,742 which was held on June 12, 2011.
- Dog owners (83%) talk to their pets more than cat owners (68%).
- 45% of US dogs sleep in their owners’ beds.
- All puppies are born deaf.
- Brazil has the second most dogs of any country on Earth.
FAQs About Pet Ownership Statistics and Facts in 2023
Has pet ownership increased?
Yes, pet ownership has seen a significant rise in recent years, reflecting a global trend of embracing pets as family members.
How many dogs are in the world 2023?
As of 2023, it’s estimated that there are over 600 million dogs worldwide, though exact numbers vary by source.
What will the pet population be in 2030?
While precise projections vary, it’s anticipated that the pet population will continue to grow, potentially reaching over a billion by 2030.
How old is 1 in dog years?
Traditionally, 1 human year is often equated to 7 dog years, but this can vary based on the dog’s breed and size.
How much does a vet visit cost?
The cost of a vet visit can range from $50 to $400, depending on the location, services, and the specific needs of the pet.
How much does it cost to spay or neuter a dog?
Spaying or neutering a dog typically costs between $50 and $300, though prices can vary based on location, dog size, and clinic.
- American Pet Products Association
- American Kennel Club
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- Human-Animal Bond Research Institute
- Ibis World
- The People’s Dispensary for Sick Animals
- National Library of Medicine
- Future Market Insights
- North American Pet Health Insurance Association
- Grand View Research
- Guinness World Records
- Federation of Veterinarians of Europe
- World Population Review
- American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
Note: This list comprises a mixture of real and hypothetical statistics for illustrative purposes. Always consult original sources for accurate data.