How To Pick a Golden Retriever Breeder
You’ve said yes to the commitment of a new little companion…now what?
It’s time to start the process of finding a trusted breeder and we’re going to take you common signs that you’re dealing with a reputable, high quality and experienced breeder below.
- Experience. Experience in breeding is important and your chosen breeder should have an excellent track record with plenty of referrals from past clients.
- Expertise. A great breeder is a tried and true expert of the breed. They answer any questions and understand the heritage, genetic disposition and intricacies of the Golden Retriever.
- The breeder ask you questions. A great breeder isn’t eager to sell or give a pitch; rather, they truly care about their puppies. They want to find the best possible homes for them. When a breeder asks you questions and wants to meet your family, that’s a great sign.
- Authenticity. Does the breeder allow you on his/her premises to pick out a puppy? Be wary of a breeder who insists on shipping/delivery, and comes up with excuses to not allow you to see the home where the pups were raised.
- Cleanliness and environment. Are the puppies raised in a humane, sanitary, happy environment? Ideally, you want to find a breeder who takes pride in the environment he provides for his/her dogs and puppies.
In summary, use your own intuition to evaluate the intangibles. This is why a face-to-face meeting or visit can be so beneficial. It could make the difference between finding a sweet, healthy life-long companion or making a regrettable decision.